[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Benefits - Discretionary Housing Payment Application Form

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP's) are not awards of Housing Benefit. If your Housing Benefit award doesn't cover your total eligible rent, you can apply for this additional payment.

We may award you a DHP if we think you need extra money towards housing costs, and you receive either Housing Benefit, or Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability.

Please note that while the housing costs on the Universal Credit award notification may refer to support for mortgage interest payments, owner-occupiers are not eligible to receive a DHP.

Apply online for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Discretionary Housing Payments towards rent in advance and/or rent deposits

You can also ask for assistance towards rent deposits and/or rent in advance. If you wish to be considered then you must first contact your housing office to apply for assistance, if you haven't done that already.

Once you have discussed your situation with the housing office you can make a claim on the online form by answering yes to the question:

"Do you wish to apply for a Rent Deposit/Rent in Advance to help secure an affordable property?"

DHP's are not payments of benefit. They are free standing payments made at the discretion of our benefits service. A claimant does not have a statutory right to a payment and the amount that can be paid out in any financial year is cash-limited by the Secretary of State.

We aim to inform you in writing of the outcome of your application within 14 days of receipt of all necessary information, or as soon as practicable thereafter.

go to 'apply for it' homepage

Contact us


0345 034 4569

Stour Valley and Poole Partnership
PO Box 722
BH15 2RU