[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Disability Benefits

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

PIP helps towards some of the extra costs arising from a long term ill-health condition or disability and is based on how a person’s condition affects them, not the condition they have. It is not means-tested or subject to tax and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work.

A programme to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible people aged 16 to 64 with Personal Independence Payment (PIP) started on 8 April 2013.

Check here to see how it might affect you, or call the PIP Information Line on 0845 850 3322 (textphone 0845 601 6677) from Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

You can only make a new DLA claim if you're under 16.

Find out if you're eligible to claim DLA on GOV.UK.

Employment and Support Allowance

If you're ill or disabled, ESA offers financial support if you're unable to work and/or personalised help so that you can work if you're able to.

You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed.

You might be transferred to ESA if you've been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.

Find out if you're eligible to claim ESA on GOV.UK.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is awarded to applicants who are aged 65 or over when they apply, who need supervision and/or help with personal care because of their illness or disability.

Help must have been needed for at least six months, but there is no qualifying period for a person who is terminally ill.

There are 2 benefit rates:

  • Higher rate for care/supervision needs both day and night
  • Lower rate for care/supervision needs during the day or night

Further information on Attendance Allowance is available from GOV.UK.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 and over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person getting Attendance Allowance (either rate) or Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or upper rate.

The carer must not be in full time education or (if working) earning more than £82 per week after deducting allowable expenses.

Further information on Carer's Allowance is available from GOV.UK.


There are no downloads associated with this page.

Contact us


0345 034 4569

Stour Valley and Poole Partnership
Po Box 722
BH15 2YE

Text (SMS)
07781 472878

Text Relay
18001 0345 034 4569