[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

FAQS - Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Who can claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

You can claim Housing Benefit, for help with your rent, as long as you are renting your home from either:

  • The council
  • A private landlord or letting agent 
  • A housing association

You can also claim if you are a sub-tenant or lodger.

You can't claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • Rent your home from a close relative who lives in the same house
  • Own your home or have a mortgage, except for rent in cases of shared ownership
  • meet the Universal Credit gateway conditions and fall within the UC scheme, unless you live in Supported Exempt/Specified Accommodation as well as claiming Universal Credit you will need to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent as you will not be entitled to claim the Housing Element of Universal Credit

You can claim Council Tax Support, for help with your Council Tax even if you own your home as long as you or your partner are responsible for paying the bill for your home.

In most cases, if you and any partner have joint savings or investments totalling more than £16,000 you will not be entitled to Housing or Council Tax Support.

Back to top

How do I claim?

If you have recently made a claim for Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance, then the Jobcentre Plus should send us a claim on your behalf.

Or, claim online.

Back to top

How long will it be before I find out if I will receive it?

If we ask you to provide some further information then we cannot make a decision until we have everything we have asked for, so the sooner you provide any documents, the sooner we can make a decision. We would advise that you read the notes in the application form carefully and try to provide as much supporting papers as possible at the time of application.

Once we have all of the information we have asked for, or if we do not require further information, we will do our best to make a decision on how much you're entitled to within 14 days.

Payment is usually made on the next available payment run.

You can register to view your account online via our online services.

Back to top

What date will my Benefit start?

Benefit is usually awarded from the Monday after we receive the application.

In some circumstances, the claim can be paid from an earlier date. This is often referred to as 'backdating'.

If you would like your claim to be paid from an earlier date (backdated) you'll need to show us that there were good reasons why you weren't able to apply earlier. One of our team will then decide whether we can backdate your benefit and let you know our decision and our reasons for it.

If you are a pensioner who has never claimed before then the law enables us to automatically backdate your claim by up to 3 months if you would have been entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support during that time.

In order for us to do this we may ask you to provide some additional information when you claim.

Back to top

How much Housing Benefit can be paid?

If you pay rent to a housing association, your council, or any other registered social landlord, we will work out your Housing Benefit using the rent you pay. This will be reduced if your property has more bedrooms than are necessary for your household. When working out your Housing Benefit, we do not count any 'extras' (ineligible charges) included in your rent, such as heating, water or sewerage.

If you pay rent to a private landlord, the maximum amount that can be paid as Housing Benefit will depend on which Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate you fall into.

We take your household situation, income and savings into account before deciding how much Housing Benefit will be awarded.

You can use these benefit calculators to get an estimate of how much benefit you could be entitled to.

If you then make a claim, we'll request some more information from you and one of our team will work out how much you're actually going to get.

Back to top

How is benefit paid?

If you rent your home from a Housing Association you can have any Housing Benefit paid direct to the Housing Association every four weeks, in arrears.  Alternatively, Housing Association tenants can choose to have any Housing Benefit paid direct into their bank account every fortnight or four weekly in arrears. You are then responsible for ensuring that this money is used towards your rent.

If you rent your home from a private landlord or letting agency we will pay any Housing Benefit direct into your bank account every fortnight or four weekly, in arrears. You are then responsible for ensuring that this money is used towards your rent.

If you do not keep up with your rent payments your landlord can apply for any Housing Benefit to be paid direct to their bank account.

In some circumstances people are not in a position to take care of their own affairs for a short while when they first take on a tenancy. If, you feel this applies in your circumstances,  you can apply for Housing Benefit to be paid direct to your Landlord for up to six months from the start of the claim.

Housing Benefit is paid in multiples of weeks, either fortnightly or four weekly.

As Landlords often charge rent per calendar month you may have a shortfall to make up some months even if your housing benefit entitlement is equal to your full rent. This is because we pay 13 four-weekly payments or 26 fortnightly payments each year rather than 12 monthly payments each year.

For example a monthly rent of £500.00 equals a weekly amount of £115.38 calculated as follows:

Monthly rent x 12 months/52 weeks

Council Tax Support is credited to your Council tax Account to reduce your bill.

Back to top

Do I have to tell my Landlord I am claiming Housing Benefit?

There is no legal requirement for you to tell your Landlord you are claiming Housing Benefit and in most cases payments will be made to you.

However if you fall into 8 weeks arrears your landlord can request payment of Housing benefit to be made to them until the arrears are reduced.

Where payments are made direct to you we will not discuss your claims with your landlord unless you provide explicit consent for us to do so and we have a written record of this.

Where payments are made direct to a landlord we can share the following information:

  • details about the payments that have been and are due to be made to the landlord on your behalf
  • The period a payment or payments relate to
  • Details about any overpayments we ask you to repay

Back to top

Contact us


0345 034 4569

Stour Valley and Poole Partnership
Po Box 722
BH15 2YE

Text (SMS)
07781 472878

Text Relay
18001 0345 034 4569