[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Severely Mentally Impaired discount or exemption

Households containing people suffering from severe mental impairment, including those with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, those who have suffered a stroke, those with severe learning difficulties and those who have suffered an impairment as a result of injury, may be entitled to a reduction in their Council Tax.

Severe mental impairment may be progressive, and many people, (or their carers) may not realise that they are now entitled to a reduction.

If the adult residents are all severely mentally impaired and would otherwise be liable to pay Council Tax, a 100% exemption will apply.

If the adult residents are all either severely mentally impaired or students who would otherwise be disregarded, a 100% exemption will also apply.

Complete the Severely Mentally Impaired exemption application form and return the evidence.

Where not all adult residents are severely mentally impaired, but they are all disregarded, for instance where a severely mentally impaired person lives with their carer, a 50% discount will apply.

Complete the Severely Mentally Impaired discount application form.

Where all but one of the adult residents is disregarded due to severe mental impairment or for any other reason, a 25% discount will apply.

Complete the Severely Mentally Impaired discount application form, and the Carers Disregard application form, and return the evidence.

Where a landlord is liable for Council Tax on a property where all the adult residents are Severely Mentally Impaired, they will all be disregarded and the landlord will receive a 50% discount.

Complete the Severely Mentally Impaired exemption application form and return the evidence.

To qualify, someone must be medically certified as having a condition which affects their intelligence and social functioning, that appears to be permanent, and be entitled to (but not necessarily receiving) at least one of a number of the following benefits: 

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (which must include the "Support Component")
  • Care Component of a Disability Living Allowance, payable at either the middle of highest rate (the lowest rate will not qualify)
  • an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension (where constant attendance is needed)
  • Disabled Person's Tax Credit
  • an Unemployability Supplement
  • an Unemployabliity Allowance
  • a Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium
  • a premium added to their partner's Jobseekers Allowance
  • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment

Contact us


0345 034 4569

Text Relay
18001 0345 034 4569

Stour Valley and Poole Partnership
PO Box 722
BH15 2YE