[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Food Business and Registration

Food Safety Act 1990

The Food Safety Act 1990 and regulations made under it make it an offence for anyone to sell or process food for sale which is harmful to health.

This is to prevent food poisoning.

The Regulations also place an obligation on businesses to ensure that their activities are carried out in a hygienic way.

Back to top

Registration of food business

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.

Registration is a one off exercise and free of charge.  It allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the Poole area so we can visit them when needed. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, for example

  • some which are already "approved" for food law purposes
  • certain agricultural premises

Please contact us if you think you might be exempt.

Back to top

How to register

You can register by downloading an application form. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. The registration form must be sent to us. If the form is sent to the wrong address, your application will not take effect until it is received at the proper place. If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open in answer to question

If you have any questions, please contact us and we will help you. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

Back to top

Access to the food business register

We will enter your details on our register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at these will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of ourselves, local government departments and government agencies. Your details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Back to top

Changes to your business

Once you have registered with us, you only need to notify us if

  • there is a change of proprietor, (the new proprietor will have to complete a registration form)
  • the nature of the business changes
  • or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept.

Please contact us to notify us of any changes to your business.

Back to top

Guidance for your business on food law 

You can download our generic guidance notes for new food businesses. This give details of the main food safety and health and safety requirements which would apply to your proposed business, together with other areas which you may need to consider. 

You can also download the guidance notes for market traders and mobile food vendors/caterers. This guidance explains how you can meet the food safety laws that apply to food stalls and mobile catering units. It also includes important food standards and health & safety information.

We are always willing to give guidance advice on how the law relates to your business. If you need more specific advice, please contact us.

Back to top

Contact us

Environmental Services


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF