[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Petroleum Storage Certificate

General Information

We, in Trading Standards, are the petroleum enforcement authority (PEA) in  Poole.  We are responsible for ensuring that those who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or the environment.

From  1st October 2014, the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 introduced the operation of a permitting system for the storage of petroleum under certain circumstances. This is to replace Petroleum Licences which are being phased out nationally.

  • the keeper of fuel must apply to us for a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).  Any petroleum licence which expired after 1 October 2014 will be deemed to be a PSC under the new Regulations.

  • New certificates will be issued as current licences expire over the next three years. Certificates are issued for the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to a person or company (previously known as licensees).

  • Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either major changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

  • The Keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site. The Keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.

We must be satisfied with the storage of Petroleum at the site and the precautions that have been taken to minimise the risks presented by any storage of Petroleum.

Further information and guidance on the new legislation has been published by the Health and Safety Executive Website, or may be obtained from the Borough of Poole by contacting us on  01202 261700.

Back to top

How do I apply for a Petroleum Storage Certificate?

You can download a copy of the application form here

Back to top

How much does the certificate cost?

The cost of a petroleum certificate is dependent on the quantity that will be stored.  This is set by the Health and Safety Fees Regulations and subject to review. 

You may choose for how long a storage certificate will be valid, between one and ten years. Once you have chosen, you can make a payment for the period of your choice.

The current fees are:

Band    Litreage                                                                               Amount

A          not exceeding 2,500 litres                                                      £44

B          exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres          £60

C          exceeding 50,000 litres                                                        £125

The fees for ‘more than one years renewal period’ are charged at a straight multiple of the current annual fee.   

Back to top

Additional Information

See links to the Health and Safety Executive Website.

You may also wish to read our Petroleum Storage Certificate Facts and Guidance on the implementation of the new arrangements brought about by the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014.

Back to top

Domestic and non-workplace storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic.  If you are storing it, there are laws that you need to follow.

  • Apart from what is in your vehicle fuel tank, you can only transport petrol in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked 'Petroleum' and 'Highly Flammable'. Make sure these containers are secured in the back of your vehicle when being transported.

  • Filling your tank from a container should only be carried out in the open air.

  • Store any containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Do not keep it in the house. Make sure the area is well ventilated and away from naked flames or live electrical equipment.

  • Check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.

  • The regulations have provision for licensing domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only.

  • A person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place (see Schedule 2 of the PSC for further details).

  • A person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the authority in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises, and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations.

  • A person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a Petroleum Storage Certificate. Certificates are issued in the same manner as that described above.

Back to top

Who to contact

For further details and all other petrol related enquiries please contact us or the Petroleum Officer at the following address:

Environmental Services

Units 1&2 New Fields Business Park
Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF

Tel: 01202 261700

Back to top

Contact us


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700


The Petroleum Officer 
Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF