[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Street Collection Licence

What is a street collection licence?

It is illegal to hold a collection 'in a street or public place' in Poole, to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes, without first obtaining a Street Collection Licence from us. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'. Whilst the majority of collections involve the collection of money, consent is also required if the collection involves the sale of articles. A return form (to include total proceeds collected) must be completed within one month of the collection taking place and this form is sent to you with the licence.


Local Authorities issue Street Collection Licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act. The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Who can apply?

Street collections are usually made by, or on behalf of,  charities. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.  There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying and regulations which govern this type of collection (please see the application form and supporting notes for further details).

How do I apply?

You can download the application form or you can also contact us for a copy.   The application form should be submitted not later than one month before the date the collection is proposed to take place.  It must be signed by the applicant who will be the person responsible for the collection and for submitting the return form.

Further information

Supporting notes are available with the application form or you can contact us.

If you are seeking information about a registered charity or the procedures involved in setting up or running a charity please contact the Charity Commission .

Contact us


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF