[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole
View a new version of marriages and civil partnerships and tell us what you think.

Notice of Marriage

What is the Notice of Marriage?

The Notice of Marriage is the legal paperwork that you both have to complete before your civil marriage can take place.

Each of you will need to attend in person to give Notice of your intention to marry. This will be the case even if you live in the same registration district.

Who you give Notice to

The Notices of Marriage must be given to the Superintendent Registrar of the district(s) where you live.

You don’t have to do this together, but it’s better if you can so that any problems that may arise can be dealt with then and not on the wedding day.

Booking an appointment to give Notice

If you live in Poole, book an appointment to give notice on the Stopford appointment booking system, or phone 01202 633744. Read how your information is used.

If you live outside Poole you must enter your notice in the district where you live. You will need to give at least 28 clear days notice before the ceremony can take place. For example, if you give notice on the 1st day of the month the earliest you would be able to marry would be the 30th of that same month.

What information you will need to show

We will need to see the following:

  • current passport (or full birth certificate may be acceptable)
  • proof of residency showing your address this could be a -
  • utilities bill (not more than 3 months from notice appointment)
  • bank statement (not more than 1 month from notice appointment)
  • Council Tax bill (not more than 1 year from notice appointment)
  • original documentary evidence showing how any previous marriage(s) ended (decree absolute or death certificate) - if applicable
  • original documentary evidence showing how any previous name(s) were changed - if applicable.

If you do not have a passport and you were born after 1 January 1983 we will need to see mother or fathers passport or full birth certificate.

Please contact us on 01202 633744 or marriages@poole.gov.uk for further information.

Fee for giving Notice

The fee for giving notice is £35.00 each.

Back to top

Contact us


01202 633744

The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street Poole
BH15 1NF

Opening Times:
Monday - Thursday
9:00am - 4:30pm
9:00am - 4:00pm