[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole
View a new version of marriages and civil partnerships and tell us what you think.

Registering a Marriage or Civil Partnership

You can get married or enter into a civil partnership if you’re:

  • 16 or over (you need permission from your parents or guardians if you’re under 18)

  • free to marry, or form a civil partnership (single, divorced or widowed)

  • not closely related

Documents to take to the register office

When you go to the register office at the Guildhall, you will need to take proof of your name, age and nationality. Suitable documents such as:

  • current passport (or full birth certificate may be acceptable)
  • national identity card
  • immigration status document

The registrar will also need to see evidence of your address: 

  • bank letter (not more than 1 month from notice appointment) 
  • Council Tax bill (not more than 1 year from notice appointment) 

If you don’t have a valid passport and you were born after 1983, you might need other documents - check with the register office.

You each need to pay a £35 fee when you attend the register office to give notice.

Please contact us on 01202 633744 or registrars@poole.gov.uk for further information. 

If you've been divorced or widowed

If you've been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to take either:

A foreign divorce will usually be recognised in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place.

The registrar will check your overseas divorce documents and may have to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage can go ahead.

Back to top

Contact us


01202 633744

The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street Poole
BH15 1NF

Opening Times:
Monday - Thursday
9:00am - 4:30pm
9:00am - 4:00pm