[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Food Safety

The Food Safety Act 1990 and Regulations make it an offence for anyone to sell or process food for sale which is harmful to health. They place an obligation on businesses to ensure that their activities are carried out in a hygienic way.

This page contains information on:

Food Safety

Food Allergen Guidance

Food Complaints

Useful  Links

Food Safety

We make sure that food produced and consumed locally is safe by

  • Investigating complaints concerning allegations of food poisoning and poor hygiene practices.
  • Hygiene inspections and food sampling inspections are carried out at  all commercial premises where food is served or sold. Inspections are risk based.
  • food sampling of foods produced locally, and as part of national surveys.
  • regular studies of shellfish samples take place to establish safety before it reaches the food chain.
  • Food labelling & composition is correctly described and satisfies all compositional standards.

Back to top 

Food complaints

If you have recently bought  food that you suspect might be unsafe to eat ,or if you have recently eaten out and witnessed something likely to result in food poisoning (e.g. pests in a food business),  please contact us. 

  • we will evaluate each complaint brought to our attention and have a policy to take action when the nature of the complaint could result in significant harm to the health of the consumer.

  • your concerns will be treated in confidence.  Any information supplied will be handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

  • if your concern is not a significant public health issue then unfortunately we will be unable to investigate the matter.  In these instances, we would ask that you contact the business directly to make them aware of your complaint so that they can instigate any internal investigation they consider necessary.

  • we prioritise our resources on matters that would cause significant harm to health. This is part of our commitment to provide a risk-based enforcement service that is efficient and effective.

Please note; we are not in a position to obtain compensation for you from the companies involved, nor are we able to pursue claims for personal injury. 

If you feel a claim is appropriate, you are recommended to seek legal advice as soon as possible. 

You can seek independent advice on your rights from our partner organisation, Citizens Advice consumer service (CitA) on 03454 040506. CitA is the government funded consumer advice service.

Back to top

Useful links

Back to top