[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Applying for Housing Benefit

If you live in Poole you can claim Housing Benefit from us to help towards the cost of renting your home.

This application form also covers a Council Tax Support claim. (if applicable)

Apply now

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Anyone who is liable to pay rent for living in their home can claim housing benefit. 

Your landlord could be the council, a Housing Association or a private landlord but it cannot be a close relative, such as your parents, if you live with them. 

You may rent a whole house or just a room and you may have a shared liability with other tenants.

You can claim Housing Benefit:

  • if you are getting a state benefit or allowance, such as JobSeeker's Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or State Retirement Pension  you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. 

  • if you are getting Tax Credit or Pension Credit you may be entitled. 

  • you could be entitled even if you are not in receipt of any benefits but are on a low income, including workers and self-employed workers.  

How much Housing Benefit you can claim

The amount of help will depend on your personal and family circumstances, for example how much money you have coming in each week.

You can get an estimate of your Housing Benefit using these benefit calculators.

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support but the benefit payment amount does not cover your total rent/council tax bill and you are suffering hardship as a result, then you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

How to claim Housing Benefit

You can apply for Housing Benefit by:

Line Break - right nav - 230x10px Benefits and Council Tax

Contact us


0345 034 4569

Stour Valley and Poole Partnership
Po Box 722
BH15 2YE

Text (SMS)
07781 472878

Text Relay
18001 01202 633114