[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Boundary Walls

boundary wall
If you intend carrying out work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property or
  • excavating near a neighbouring building

You must check if the proposed work comes under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. If it does you must notify all your neighbours affected by the proposals.

You do not need to make a submission to construct a boundary wall providing it does not form part of the building.

The Party Wall Act 1996 requires you to inform adjoining owners, even if the work you intend to do is exempt under Building Regulations.

This Act is not controlled by us or the Local Authority, but does provide a framework for preventing disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

We recommend that all free-standing walls are constructed in accordance with Building Research Establishment Document GBG14. Tel: 01923 66444

You may wish to visit the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors website.

Contact us


01202 633250

Text Relay
18001 01202 633250

Building Consultancy
Room 206
Civic Centre
BH15 2RU