[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Building Work


A Building Regulations application is necessary for all substantial drain replacements. Minor isolated repairs need not be controlled. In all cases reasonable access should be provided for rodding and clearing.

If you have a private drainage problem please contact Environmental Services or Wessex Water


Party Walls

The Party Wall Act etc 1996 is not controlled by us or the Local Authority, but does provide a framework for preventing disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

If you intend carrying out work which involves:

  • Work on an existing wall shared with another property;
  • Building on the boundary with a neighbouring property; or 
  • Excavating near a neighbouring building

You must check if the proposed work comes under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. If it does you must notify all your neighbours affected by the proposals.

A free guidance booklet, “The Party Wall etc. Act 1996: Explanatory Booklet”

What if things go wrong?

If problems arise during the progress of works we will do our best to help find someone, and will be happy to offer advice to both you and your builder.

Ultimately we are not a warranty organisation and if the building work fails to meet your needs or expectations your redress would be against your builder, not the Borough Council. For this reason you should take great care in selecting a builder who is reliable and who is still likely to be around if you have problems two or three years into the future.

You should also be aware that under the parent legislation to the Building Regulations, it is the responsibility of the person who commissions the building work for complying with all relevant regulations. Therefore, any costs associated with rectifying defective work and any fines associated with a legislative contravention are likely to be your responsibility.

Do my neighbours have the right to object to what is proposed in my Building Regulation application?

No. There is no requirement in the Building Regulations to consult neighbours (although it would be courteous for you to do so).

Is there a time limit within which I have to carry out the work?

Yes. If the work has not started within 3 years of the deposit of a full plans application we may declare the application void.  In the case of Building Notices and Initial Notices they are automatically void after 3 years from the date of deposit.

If the owner still wishes to progress with the works, a new application should be submitted meeting current standards.

A further charge is payable.

Contact us

Contact details


01202 633250

Text Relay
18001 01202 633250

Building Consultancy
Room 206
Civic Centre
BH15 2RU