[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Applying for planning permission

Applying for planning permission

Planning permission is needed to ensure that a development is properly controlled and carried out without damaging the environment. 

We provide advice on submitting a planning application for proposed development or changes to land or property.

Do I need planning permission?

There are many alterations and additions to houses where you do not need to apply for planning permission, these are called "permitted development rights."

The Planning Portal have provided an interactive house guide containing information for householders on Planning and Building regulations for common household developments. Mini guides are also provided for extensions, loft conversions, outbuildings and porches .

Permitted development rights

In some cases the council may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. 

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in:

You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, it should be in your deeds or land registry information when you purchased your property.
If you don't know you can check with us (there is a cost for this service).

If you are unsure whether your intended proposal can be considered permitted development you can complete a Householder Permitted Development Enquiry Form and return it to us and we will then let you know.

Line Break - right nav - 230x10px Planning and Buildings

Contact us


01202 633321

Planning and Regeneration Services
Civic Centre
BH15 2RU