[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Planning Permitted Development Enquiries

The application form can be downloaded here and guidance notes here.


Please note that the Borough of Poole only require ONE copy of the application form, plans and supporting documents to be sent and not the number of copies stated by the Planning Portal on their forms and guidance notes.


The Planning Portal are updating their permitted development information and interactive house which may help with any questions.

If you have any further specific questions about the legislation prior to submitting your application please email planning@poole.gov.uk.

Permitted Development information provided by the Planning Portal Website

We work in partnership with The Planning Portal to provide information and services about the planning system.

The Planning Portal have provided an interactive house guide containing information to householders on Planning and Building regulations for common household developments. Mini guides are also provided for projects such as  extensions, loft conversions, outbuildings and porches

The Planning Portal also provide a useful Class Use guide for applicants wishing to make a  permitted development change of use application for a property or building .

The links are provided purely for information purposes and you are advised to contact  the Borough of Poole if you have any doubt as to whether the works you are planning are covered by Planning Legislation. Formal confirmation may help in the future if you have to provide evidence that your development has been approved by the Local Authority.

Do I need planning permission?

There are certain types of development and minor changes that you can make to your property without needing to apply for formal planning permission. These rights are called “permitted development rights” and they derive from a general planning permission granted by Parliament -The Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) Order 2008 [Part 1] - (and not by the local authority).

The Council will provide informal opinions as to whether a proposal constitutes as “permitted development”. A charging scheme of £46, inclusive of VAT currently at 20%, applies to this service because of the significant resource implications for Planning and Regeneration Services.

How can I make an enquiry?

We will require certain details from you about your proposal depending on whether the property is residential or commercial.  Residential householders should use the “Permitted Development Enquiry Form” which can be obtained from our reception or online on the Download Section at the top right-hand side of this page.  This should be submitted together with sketches, payment of £46 and photographs (where possible). If submitting your enquiry via the post, your payment should be made by cheque (made payable to “Borough of Poole”), or by credit/debit card over the telephone. If you submit your enquiry at our reception, you can also pay £46 by credit/debit card or cash.

Advice for permitted development that relates to a commercial property is also available. 

If there are any details missing from your enquiry, we will request them in writing and your enquiry will be held for one month.  After such time, if the additional details have not been received, we will assume you no longer propose to proceed with your enquiry.

We endeavour to assess and determine your request as soon as possible.  This normally takes 10 working days.  Our response will confirm whether Planning Permission, Listed Building Consent or Conservation Area Consent is required.

How can I make an enquiry regarding the authorised use of a commercial property? 

If your enquiry relates to confirmation of the permitted, approved or authorised use then please submit a letter giving full details.  Our fee for this is £102 inclusive of VAT at 20%. 

Other sources of advice

It is strongly advised that you seek the written opinion of the Council on whether a formal application is required however advice is also available from:

  • Professional advisors such as Planning Consultants
  • A number of websites including;

The Planning Portal

Communities and Local Government

Please note that you should always check any previous planning permissions associated with your property as they may affect your permitted development rights. These should be contained within the deeds of the property or copies can be viewed at our offices during normal open hours.

Back to top

Contact us


01202 633321

Planning & Regeneration Services
Civic Centre
BH15 2RU

Planning reception - visitor hours
Monday to Thursday - 9am to 5pm
Fridays - 9am to 4:30pm

Duty Officer
9am to 1pm