[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Demonstrations and Parades

Sometimes, in special circumstances, roads are closed to allow sporting events, demonstrations or parades to take place.

If the road needs to be closed to general traffic a temporary road closure, which requires a Traffic Regulation Order, has to be granted with written agreement from the Police. 

A minimum of six weeks notice is required for small events and a minimum of three months is needed for larger events.  This ensures the time to organise them properly.

The event organiser needs to meet all the costs involved for both the closure and diversion signing.

Usually roads, which are closed for sporting events, can only be closed once a year without the consent of The Secretary of State.

The Council cannot provide or give permission for the use of cones.  If you are organising an event which is likely to require this type of measure, then this would need to be discussed as part of the discussions with the events Safety Advisory Group.

Demonstrations are handled by the Police so that they can make the appropriate arrangements. 

For more information about this please e-mail us

Related pages

Contact us

Email customer services

01202 262000

Report a problem