[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Road Obstructions and Nuisance vehicles


The information below aims to cover the most common obstructions of both the road and pavement.

Goods and Materials left in the road or on a pavement.
Most commonly these will be found adjacent to building projects. They represent a health and safety hazard so please report it so we can arrange for an officer to investigate this further to arrange for the hazard to be removed.

If the obstruction is on public land and is being caused by fly tipping this should be reported to Environmental & Consumer Protection.

Vehicles causing a short term obstruction
This is often a temporary obstruction (e.g. a delivery being made) and as a result it is impossible for us to investigate these on an individual basis. However, if this is an ongoing nuisance please report it and we will investigate.

Large vehicles
 If the vehicle is a large commercial vehicle (e.g. a LGV) and regularly parks on the road overnight, then please seek advice from the Western Traffic Commissioners on 0870 606 0440 and provide them with as much information as possible including:

  • Vehicle registration
  • Details from the blue disc in the windscreen (if visible)

We are unable to take action against smaller commercial vehicles which are legally parked and taxed.

Public Utility Vehicles
Public Utility Vehicles (i.e. Gas, Electricity, Water, Council) may park on highways and undertake work as long as they are marked by cones and signs. In the event signs and cones are not visible they represent a potential safety risk and we need to know about it so we can investigate it further. Please report it and we will look into the issue.

Back to top

Traffic cones

If cones are causing an obstruction on the highway representing a safety risk please call us on 01202 265255.

Neither the Police or the Borough of Poole provide cones or grant permission to individuals for the use of cones to restrict parking.

If you are organising an event which is likely to require the use of cones, this would need to be part of the discussions with the event’s Safety Advisory Group.  Further information about organising an event in Poole can be found here.

Back to top

Caravan/Trailer/Boat in Road

It is illegal to park an un-motorised caravan, trailer or boat on the road if this presents a risk to other road users or causes an obstruction. Use the report it form to provide us with details of the obstruction.

Back to top

Cars for sale on the road

The laws relating to cars being advertised for sale on the road, in lay-bys and public land are complex. However, we recognise that these can cause a nuisance to residents and hazards to road users.

If the car is parked legally and taxed it is acceptable for private individuals to sell vehicles on the road and in these cases we are unable to take action.

In the event there are multiple cars with the same telephone number we will investigate reports to establish whether any laws are being broken and take action where appropriate. Please supply as much information as possible using our Report It form.

Back to top

Parking issues

Civil Enforcement Officers are responsible for dealing with obstructions on the road and pavements where waiting restrictions apply, such as yellow lines.  They can issue Penalty Charge Notices. If you need to pay for a parking ticket you can use our on-line payments facility or call 01202 634240.

For more information on illegal parking and when we issue penalty notices look at our Parking and Enforcement pages.

Dorset Police are responsible for dealing with obstructions of the road and pavements, including verges, where no other parking restrictions are in force. You can contact the police on 101.

If damage has been caused to a verge by a vehicle please contact us using our Report It form, so that we can investigate it and arrange for repair work to be undertaken. Please supply as much information as possible.

Back to top