[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Street Parties and Fetes

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

  • What sort of events does this cover?
  • How to apply for a street party or fete  

What sort of events does this cover?

This information relates to street parties and fetes where groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes
For residents/neighbours only
Publicity only to residents
No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved
No formal risk assessment needed

Larger public events
Anyone can attend
External publicity (such as in newspapers)
Licence usually needed
Insurance needed
Risk assessment common
Professional/skilled organisers

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21. Similarly, larger public events attracting more people will require a different process.

Back to top

How to apply for a street party or fete

In order to organise a street party you need to apply for a road closure on that particular street. To do this you need to complete the following steps:

Step 1 - Complete the Application Form and initial plan, detailing which road you would like to close for your party. Please refer to the example road layout document as guidance to illustrating where you intend to host your street party.

Step 2 - Send your completed application form and plan to the address printed on the letter.

Step 3 - If your application is successful you will be sent an approval letter and laminated notices which are to be erected in the road affected seven days before the event.

The Council cannot provide or give permission for the use of cones.  If you are organising an event which is likely to require this type of measure, then this would need to be part of the discussions with the events Safety Advisory Group. 

Back to top